Coins issued by the United States government often come with a marking that signifies where that individual coin was minted. Historically, there have not been many mints. But each mint has a different marking, “P” is the mark for the Philadelphia Mint, “W” stands for the West Point mint. Since 1906, “D” has stood for the Denver mint. However, this was not always the case. “D” was the marking used for the Dahlonega Mint in the antebellum period: the years leading up to the Civil War. The Mint Act of 1835 established the creation of a mint at or near Dahlonega, Georgia for the mintage of gold coins. It was placed in Georgia to help assay, refine, and convert the gold found in the Georgia Gold Rush that started in 1828. The mint officially opened in early 1838 and operated until it was seized by the Confederacy in the opening year of the American Civil War in 1861. During its years of operation, the mint produced denominations of $1, $2.50, $3 (only in 1854), and $5 half eagles, all of which were gold. The Dahlonega mint created over 1.3 million coins. Which, while sounds like a lot, is in reality, very few in the world of coins. Due to this fact coins bearing the Dahlonega “D” are actually quite rare and hold a high numismatic value. Certified Coin Consultants of Rockville Centre is happy to buy and sell in Dahlonega minted coins. So call, email, reach out on social media or stop in today to get your hands on some of these rare, valuable, and beautiful coins today!