The History of The Oregon Trail & the Oregon Trail Half Dollar

Posted by Derek Sawchenko on

The Oregon Trail Half Dollar is a commemorative coin that celebrates people who traveled on the trail towards the west. The Oregon Trail Association brought a petition to Congress for the coin. The association was led by Pioneer Ezra Meeker, who traveled the trail himself. Congress approved the petition and stated that six million coins was the maximum limit for coinage. The obverse side of the coin was designed by Laura Earle Fraser. It depicts a wagon moving towards the west with a two inscriptions, “In God We Trust” and “Oregon Trail Memorial. The riverside design of the coin was designed by James Earle Fraser. It depicts a Native American with a map marked with the Oregon Trail marked. One arm stretches towards the east and the other holds the bow. The inscription inscribes “The United States of America” and “Half Dollar”.  The design was then approved by the Commission of Fine Arts.

     The coin was minted at the Philadelphia Mint, San Francisco Mint, and the Denver Mint. The coin was first minted and sold in 1926. The coin was sold for $1 a piece. The coin became widely popular. Due to popularity, the mints kept producing more coins and selling it for various prices at various different mints. The coins were minted for fourteen years (1926 – 1939). 61,317 coins were melted. We are selling the 1933-D Oregon Trail Half Dollar MS 66 and the 1933-D Oregon Trail Half Dollar MS 67+. Mint state 67+ is the highest grade for the coin. Contact Certified Coin Consultants at info@certifiedcoinconsultants.com or at 516-218-2094 to get more information about his coin.

Share this post



← Older Post Newer Post →


Leave a comment